Tuesday, September 25, 2007

#7 Technology

Where do you start?
I think the single biggest, most incredible jump in technology has been mobile phones.
Now OK - I hear the howls of disapprovement from all the naysayers. But hear me out.
As a parent of teenage children, there is simply no better source of comfort than the mobile phone. I know, I know - what about the bills etc... but I feel the pros far outweigh the cons.
On Saturday night after a long, tiring day my teenage son decided to drive his mates to Ballarat in the dark. When he had broken out of the cupboard I locked him in and the chains I had shackled him with and he managed to disengage me from his leg -he set off.
3 Valium later (me, not him) and one hour and 5 minutes later I received a text from him saying "here mum". and all was good in the world.
I often wonder how we coped in the days pre mobiles - were we all a little more secure? Did we not need constant reassurances? Perhaps. But I just find them a necessary and valuable tool in terms of organisation, planning, contact and communication.
... and hey, you can always turn them off (just ask my son!!!)

No comments: