Saturday, October 13, 2007

#14 Technorati

50 million blogs on Technorati. Get your head around that.
Years ago - the only blogs we knew of was that bloke "Joe Blogs" - now every man and his dog (including Joe Blogs) has something to say out there.
I did as requested and searched on Technorati (again, who thought of that name??? It sounds like someone racing in the Grand Prix ) - for "Learning 2.0” in the different search headings.
Under Blog Posts, there were 422 listings. And they were all very different and all appeared terribly technical. Couldn't see many/any at first glance that pertained to our area of interest.(Though I must fess up, I didnt check the entire 422 - no lollies for me).
Under Blog directory, there were just three listings - and all seemed to be talking about a biker in Chicago.
Under tags - interestingly, 3 references only - and all seemed to be referring directly to our particular online course and our weekly modules.
So, it obviously makes a huge difference to blog searching - a) under what heading you search and b) whether your blogs are tagged.

It was interesting to have a looksee as to the most popular blogs on on Technorati - Boing Boing was the standout favourite and won a big award. I had a scout around it. Boing Boing did nothing for me. I can understand enthusiasts really being hooked on the most popular blogs, such as moneymaking ideas and celeb gossip - but Lifehacker and other irrelevant ramblings were not for me.
After deliberating and reading the HTML instructions - I decided not to tag my blogs. Not because it seemed difficult - but purely because I feel they are so boring, no-one else could possibly want to read them - or find them in a search.

No comments: