Wednesday, October 24, 2007

#22 World eBook Fair site

O.K - Of the many, many new digital areas we have navigated during this journey - there have only really been about one or two that have failed to really impress me. (Rollyo, for example)
But I have to confess, here now, the whole online, downloadable e book - still leaves me cold.
I get the concept, totally! I visited all the sites and I am aware of the many, many advantages.
- the archives and free access to researchers and scholars
- the online obscure texts
- the wide variety of books and titles available - from Buddhism to Census publications.
- hard to get fiction, hard to fathom non-fiction.
O.K - so yes, I get it.
... but I am yet to embrace the concept - and I still feel it immediately alienates a certain amount of people by its sheer nature. You must have access to a (very up to date) computer, be computer savvy - and in some cases be cashed up.
Finally - fiction e books? How do I take it to bed and read it for comfort - or curl up on my outdoor couch in the sun with my book?
... yeah, I know, get with the times.

No comments: