Saturday, October 13, 2007

#16 What's a Wiki?

I have to confess. I love Wikis - always have.
Why? Mainly, I think, because everything is there. Everything! Think of the most obscure subject and you'll discover that 55 other people have. And not only that - they've all added their two bob's worth!
But that's the silly side of it all. Let's get serious. Apart from being an obvious information tool, how can they apply to our libraries?
I must admit I had to think hard about this. But on reading the prescribed links - I discovered Chad from the Ohio Uni Library and his fab library research wiki - Go Chad! Very worthwhile for his students and anyone seriously needing research assistance.
On applying Wikis to my own, personal library I suddenly realised it could work. We could create Wikis on our Homepage that staff and patrons could update - e.g "Who Writes like... ", Reviews of new releases, Genre lists, Author lists - I really like the idea that patrons could have an input into this - and the homepage seems the obvious link.
It could also work on the Staff Intranet system too. Wikis set up on current projects, current studies or areas of interest that may be timely and pertinent to staff.
And finally, I discovered there's even a Wiki for our little area http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geelong_West,_Victoria - wouldn't it be great to have that accessible to our local patrons at Geelong West Library, to add their knowledge, history and stories. Will keep that in mind!

No comments: